Faculty of Social Sciences
Department of Epigraphy
With the establishment of the department in the year 1995, the department has taken up the responsibility conduct village to village survey and to bring out the publications of epigraphs found in those places. In addition the Department runs teaching programs Ph.D., M. Phil. and P.G. Diploma in Epigraphy. It has brought out the publication of all the epigraphs of north Karnataka district wise and now focusing on other districts apart from publishing Kannada inscriptions found in other neighboring states.
The Department has conductedmany National seminars on various issues related to Epigraphy and History. It also conducts lecture series in various places to create awareness about historical monuments such as inscriptions.
Vision Statement of the Department
- To be the repository of all the inscriptions necessary to understand Kannada/Karnataka
- To keep alive the skill of reading the script and language of inscriptions
- To construct the historiography of inscription making as an institution
- To construct the history of polity, society, sects, economy based on the available inscriptions
Mission Statement of the Department
- To bring all the inscriptions into print as volumes district wise and Kannada inscriptions in the neighboring areas
- To train more and more people in taking esteem page of inscriptions, reading it and analyzing it, not only through the courses offered by the department but also by organizing workshops across Karnataka and other places
- To conduct research projects to construct the history using inscriptions as sources
- To digitalize the inscription-texts as a searchable database
Uniqueness of the Department
The Department of Epigraphy has established six to eight thousands of inscriptions available in the villages of North Karnataka. The Department has already published inscriptions of the districts of Bellary, Koppala, Raichur, Bidar, Bagalakote, Vijayapura and a special volume on ‘Hampi’. The Department has also published Kannada inscriptions found in Andhra pradesha, Tamilnadu, Maharashtra states. The publication of Gadag, Dharwad, Udupi and Haveri district volumes are in the final stage.
Programmes/Courses of the Department
Ph.D. in Epigraphy
M.Phil. in Epigraphy
PG Diploma in Epigraphy
Courses offered :
Major Research Projects
Major Contribution of the Department :
The Departments aim is to update the Epigraphic Carnatic series by including unpublished and newly discovered inscriptions, for this the Department has taken village to village survey, organizing the epigraphs/inscriptions district-wise and state-wise. We are also training new scholars in the field. Being source provider to other historians.
Conference/Seminars/Workshops/Endowment Lectures etc :
Details of Publications, Books and Research Articles (with ISBN,ISSN and without ISBN, ISSN) :
Dr. Amaresh Yatagal
Associate Professor & Chair Person
Department of Epigraphy
Kannada University, Hampi
Vidyaranya – 583 276
Mobile : 9448571563
Email : email@example.com