Faculities Of Social Science.
Ancient History and Archaeology
Kannada University has been successfully and effectively fulfilling its responsibility of translating into real it appropriate and applied research in the areas of Karnataka language, Art, Literature, Culture, Archaeology and History. Adequately Programmed study and teaching programmes were started, in right earnest, in all the departments of the University from the very inception. In 1996, the Department of Ancient History and Archaeology was inaugurated to address the local aspirations, uniquely trimmed with the Hampi World Heritage package. From the very beginning the Department has been successfully and meaningfully accomplishing its designated programmes with an accent on Karnataka Archaeology, History, and Culture Studies.
With an ambitious goal to engage in spade work of collection and collation of references and resources on Ancient History and Archaeology, the Department has, in its departmental and individual programmes, study projects and publications analyzing various facets of Art, Architecture, Temples and Monuments.
Vision Statement of the Department
- The department endeavoured to establish a sound foundation for future academic studies and research projects in our discipline
- The immediate programme is to identify less furrowed research area and less documented places to enable our M.Phil. and Ph.D. students to explore greener pastures and thereby create a fertile space for objective research.
Mission Statement of the Department
- Immediate aim is to complete all the projects undertaken by the Department. Utilizing the latest Research Methodology and technological instruments more authentic exploration and excavation will be undertaken.
- In tune with the changing situations relevant Training Workshops and Seminars will be organized to create a research orientation among students and teachers and drive home among common citizens the relevance and importance of value of history.
- New value-based projects related to Archaeology, History and Culture, interfaced with modern thinking and viewpoint, will be designed, executed and published.
- Among the main aims of the Department is the organization of national and international seminars in collaboration with lead research institution to evolve appropriate fundamental laws to facilitate protective exchange of field-notes and thereby establish new vistas for Development and Applied Research in the field of Ancient History, Archaeology and Culture studies.
Uniqueness of the Department
Our Department collaboration with other departments for Teaching, Research, Publications, Seminars. Awareness among the common man, semi-literate, teachers, students of High school, Intermediate and Degree level, Research scholars, Tourist Guides about the importance of historical and archaeological monuments and its preservation for future generation through workshops, Parampare Koota and Local History.
Programmes/Courses of the Department
Ph.D. in Studies in Ancient History And Archaeology
M.Phil. in Studies in Ancient History And Archaeology
Courses offered :
M.A.Ph.D. (History & Archaeology) Integrated Programmes
- World Civilization (HC)
- Indian Pre History (HC)
- Principles and methods of Archaeology (HC)
- Indian Art and Architecture (HC)
- Ancient Indian Polity : Theory and concepts (SC)
- History of Vijayanagara (SC)
- Karnataka Archaeology (HC)
- Ancient India (SC)
- History of Medieval India (HC)
Details of the faculties :
|Dr. C.S.Vasudevan||Professor||Ph.D.||Cultural History Archaeology, Art and Architecture
|Dr. Vasudev Badiger||Professor||Ph.D.||Cultural History Archaeology, Art and Architecture
|Dr. Ramesh Nayak||Professor||Ph.D.||Cultural History Archaeology, Art and Architecture
|Dr. S.Y. Somshekhar||Professor and Chairperson||Ph.D.||Cultural History Archaeology, Art and Architecture
Major Research Projects
Major Contribution of the Department :
Absolutely relevant and essential research projects have been deftly executed and accomplished in History and Archaeology. We have published detailed temple directories for Haveri, Ballari, Koppal, Dharwad, Bijapur, Gadag, Raichur, Kalaburgi and Chitradurga districts under Karnataka Temples Cyclopaedia Series. We have also published objective works in the field of local history and archaeology Series of Kurugodu, Hanagallu, Tonnuru, Mailara, Brahmagiri, BasavanaBagevadi, Nagamangala, Jagaluru and Sindagi.
Conference/Seminars/Workshops/Endowment Lectures etc :
Details of Publications, Books and Research Articles (with ISBN,ISSN and without ISBN, ISSN) :
Dr. S.Y. Somashekhar
Professor and Chairperson
Department of Studies in Ancient History and Archaeology
Kannada University, Hampi
Vidyaranya – 583 276, KARNATAKA.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : 9480395800